Friday, October 4, 2013

Literature Analysis #2

The Circuit 
Francisco Jimenez 
 TOPIC(S) and/or EVENT(S) 
1. What my book is about was a young boys journey of coming to America. Francisco comes to America with his family. Things happen and his family and him have to move all around California to pick fruit and vegetables that are in season. He goes to school maybe at most three to four times a week because he has to help his family out with their financial situation. Money was always tight with their family that's why Francisco had to help out. 
2. The author chose to write about this story because it was his story of when his family and him came to America. 
3. I chose this book because it seemed like a good story. The first time it came to my attention was freshman year. My aunt was reading it and she told me that it was a good book. What made me want to keep on reading it was the different types of struggles that his family had to go through and how they overcame them. 
4. I did find the book realistic. It showed a lot of different types of situations that the average immigrant has to overcome. I did make connections to this book because my own family came as immigrants and had to overcome many of the same struggles that Francisco's family had to overcome. 

PEOPLE 
1.What the authors choices say to me is that he had to do the right thing in order to make ends meet. He had to choose basically between school and helping his family not get kicked out of a garage they were renting. He i think wrote this book because he wanted to show people the struggle of an immigrant family. The authors tone was very depressed. 
2. Francisco was a young boy who liked school even though he couldn't speak the language at first. He was forced to leave Mexico at a young age and crossed the boarder illegally. He hardly went to school and was forced to work to help out his family. His father (Papa) was someone that really cared about his family. He worked as much as he could and tried to work more so his children could go to school. 
3. whats interesting about them is them overcoming their hardships in life. 

More on Character and People     
1.One example of direct characterization is when Curtis accuses Francisco of stealing his jacket. one example of indirect characterization is when Francisco prays for the health of his baby brother. I think that he uses both of these devises because that way we can connect more with the characters and actually feel what they are feeling. 
2. The authors syntax/diction does not change throughout the book. 
3. the author is a little flat, he speaks in a very casual way. 
4. I felt like I met a person and they were telling me their story. 

Style 
1. The author used a journalistic style. 
2. The author used more dialogue. This is his way of letting the readers know what is going on. 
3. He used the tone of depression. Everything seemed really hard for the family. 
4. The authors attitude was sad. He made it seem like a struggle. 
5. He didn't offer resources. 

What i expect to remember for a long time is to never give up. Also that if I think I have it hard that is nothing compared to what he had to go through. I have it way easier then he did. I shouldn't take things for granted because not everything is given in this world. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment